Thursday, September 4, 2008

Joining Etsy Teams


Etsy is amazing for my own personal use - but I am just starting to really discover the community aspect of it. I have sent a handful of request to join the etsy teams that I found jived (trying to bring that word back, by the way) with what I do - and I'm happy to say that most of them have already responded.

I am just worried that I won't be able to keep track of what's what - they all seem to rely on yahoogroups, and I don't do a lot with yahoo. Guess it's time to!

This photo is a crazy quilt piece that I made while I was in Alaska last summer. We had to hike 3 miles to get out to our cabin, with all our food and gear and clothes and evvverrryyything in packs - so bringing extranneous art supplies was really hard to justify. I thought I'd be fine with my little travel-sized watercolors and a journal - but ohhh my gosh, was I itching for a good old fashioned fiber project.

Luckily, we made friends with a lot of the people who lived out on that lake (who owned their own planes) - and one lady had a bag of fabric scraps she graciously gave to me. I didn't really plan out what I was going to make - just sat on our deck and watched the "front yard" - the lake, the island right in front of us, our boat, the moose and the beavers and the eagles and the loons...eventually when I had it all sewn together, I realized that trees and water weren't enough and I needed animals. On one of his trips into Anchorage, Adam brought me back some embroidery floss, and I went at it. I stopped working on it the day we left Alaska. The needle is still stuck in the top left corner where I left it at that point. I never entirely finished either of the moose, and I didn't put in a bear like I'd intended - but I think it's a good representation of my time in Alaska, and I wanted it to only be worked on there when I needed it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment